While, it is essential to access to the best available genetics, it is equally important how these genetics are used on the unit to ensure their true potential is realised. Every herd should have a breeding program in place.This is a pre-organised plan on how the breeding herd is to be established and maintained to achieve the best possible performance on an ongoing basis. Below are 5 different breeding program options for the farm, along with the different options available for the purchase of Maternal genetics for your herd. Please work with your Hermitage or PIC sales representative to identify the best breeding program for your herd.
PROGRAMME 1. Purchase Replacement Parent F1 Gilts. The producer organises a regular supply of F1 gilts to meet the required replacement rate of the unit.These gilts have been specifically bred by PIC-Hermitage using top maternal line genetics.
PROGRAMME 2. Purchase GP Replacement Females and produce your own F1 Gilts. 10% of the herd is allocated as GP’s to breed the replacement F1 gilts for the remaining 90% of the herd.These GP’s can either be PIC/ Hermitage Landrace or Large White maternal line females, which are mated to maternal line GP sires of the opposite breed to produce the replacement F1 gilts. GP gilts are purchased from the Hermitage High Health GGP farms, movement of stock to the unit is reduced, thus enhancing ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼herd bio-security.
PROGRAMME 3. Closed Herd BreedDirect BLUP Programme to produce your own F1 Gilts. Approximately 10% of the commercial herd is used as a purebred nucleus from which all purebred and hybrid F1 replacement gilts are produced. Only GGP semen is brought onto the unit from the top PIC-Hermitage maternal line boars, thus maximising genetic progress on the unit through the BreedDirect program, hybrid vigour, and herd bio-security.
PROGRAMME 4. Closed Herd Rotational BreedDirect BLUP Programme. The producer is not required to establish a purebred nucleus.The top 10% of the commercial herd is allocated as the Nucleus using breeding values created through the BreedDirect BLUP Program. Rotational cross mating system using PIC-Hermitage Maternal line GGP Large White or Landrace semen is used to produce the parent gilt replacements. Only GGP semen is brought onto the unit from the top PIC-Hermitage Maternal line boars, thus maximising herd bio-security and genetic progress.
PROGRAMME 5. Closed Herd Rotational Cross Programme. The producer allocates the top 10% of the breeding from SMS results as the Nucleus and a rotational cross mating system using Hermitage Maternal line GGP Large White or Landrace semen is used to produce the parent gilt replacements. Only GGP semen is brought onto the unit from the top Hermitage Maternal line boars, thus maximising herd bio-security and maintaining genetic progress.